I’m so overwhelmed.
I hear this often from business owners while they are in the throws of planning their event. They are trying to manage their business, market their event and sell tickets, AND also plan their whole event. At first glance, planning an event looks or seems easy, but if you have never planned an event it can be like a black hole once you begin.
When you plan an event you have to negotiate contracts, food & beverage, transportation, activities, entertainment, audio visual, hire a photographer & videographer, branding, event content, social media, marketing, sales, customer service and so much more. This list doesn’t even contain all the back and forth, the details, the idiosyncrasies, managing and leading a team, more personality and ego management, and, and, and…. You get my drift. The lift goes on and on…
Strip away all the BS and follow my top ways to remove or reduce overwhelm:
- Breathe. Stop. Take a step back and just BREATHE.
- Create a plan. I recommend working with an event planner or project manager to lay out your event goals, strategy and budget so that you have the support and backing of an expert. Create a timeline. Set soft and hard deadlines. Make sure you are clear about what needs to be done and when it needs to be done.
- Delegate and Outsource. What I really mean is hire a team! Yes, it’s money out of pocket. It’s an investment that is well worth it AND you can earn the money back a variety of ways. You can choose to be stressed out trying to do it all yourself or you can surround yourself with a team that supports your mission and vision.
- Share Your Vision. Your team and your audience need to have a clear understanding of where you are going and WHY. Your team needs to have a complete download of your vision, purpose and goals so they can operate at the same level you’re at.
- Stay Calm, Meditate and Manage Your Money. Expenses create high stress for most business owners planning an event, so this is the perfect opportunity for you to really take some down time and remember WHY you are doing this event. Staying level headed and meditate….seriously.
- Monitor & Follow Up Weekly. Once you have delegated tasks to your teams, set up a plan for weekly updates so that the entire team is on the same page as you move forward.
- Stay Grateful and Happy. There are going to be days where you want to throw in the towel and give up. The fear is going to feel insurmountable, but if you truly believe in your vision and you’re going to be ok! You’re going to be more than OK!
- Surround Yourself with People Who Believe In You. You need a solid support system that you can open up to and be vulnerable with, who will love you, push you, support you and challenge you to be the best version of yourself. People who will pick up every time you call. People who won’t let you give up.